… In no particular order:
1. Timing. Well-timed gags have people in stiches. Sometimes, what you actually say doesn’t matter, it’s the way you say it that cracks people up and marketing is no different. A well-timed marketing effort can do more than a beautifully designed, skilfully innovative or uniquely creative campaign or communication.
Good stand-up comics have timing nailed and good marketers need to too.
2. Originality. No one wants to hear the same joke twice. If every comic on the circuit churns out the same material or dresses up the same punch lines, people get bored and stop caring. Brands that follow the crowd, play it safe, regurgitate the same old, same old or borrow someone else’s ideas, lose.
Good stand-up comics are always searching for (and trying out) new, fresh and unique material and good marketers need to too.
3. Story-Telling. Stories keep people interested and tee-up punch lines. One-liners are like beatboxing, perfect in small doses, but there’s only so much people can take. A good story captures people’s interest and reels them in for the kill. People won’t buy into your brand if they don’t believe what you stand for; your aims, missions, goals, values, beliefs, thoughts or pledges. If you can’t tell a passionate and genuine story, you can’t convince people.
Good stand-up comics tell good stories and good marketers need to too.
4. Bottle. Who wants to see a comic that’s been hailed as “alright” or “half decent”? Comics that have bottle, stick their neck on the line and take their jokes to the edge, get laughs. They might offend a few people along the way, their material might not be for everyone, but the people that get it will be laughing at it for weeks and telling their friends about it for years. Brands that take risks and are brave and fearless reap the rewards.
Good stand-up comics have courage and good marketers need to too.
5. Sharp-Thinking. Ever tried to heckle a comic? Comics sniff out danger, squashing threats instantly and make hecklers look stupid. Good comics are so sharp, they put an end to threats before they even develop. Chubby Brown rips you to bits for nipping to the toilet. Barnard Manning would have your life just for being there. Quick thinking, being proactive and staying one step ahead keeps competition at arms length.
Good stand-up comics have an impenetrable defence system and good marketers need to too.